We have developed an IT solution for all units that deal with forests but cannot use the State Forests IT System.
LasInfo is a full IT system which includes the applications LasInfo PC (installed on desktop computers) , LasInfo Timber Trade (installed on a mobile computer), hadnheld forest register, mobile printer, numerical map browser, and mobile GIS application. An internet connection is also required between the forest, forest lodge and the central unit. The implementation of such an IT system in the National Park results, for example, in the elimination of necessary work and the speeding up of other work.
LasInfo IT system is a professional tool for foresters dealing with the supervision of forest land – it allows them to efficiently manage the conservation, farming and economic processes carried out in the forests. This product is aimed at all units which employ foresters - national parks, experimental forest facilities, urban forests and even maritime offices.
The system includes the following:
- LasInfo PC – application installed on a desktop computer
- LasInfo Timber Sales – application installed on a palmtop or handheld forest register
- numerical map browser – GIS server application
- environmental monitoring
- mobile GIS – mLas Engineer Lite
- handheld forest register Motorola MC 9596
- mobile printer Zebra RW 420
1. LasInfo PC
The LasInfo PC program is the main tool of the whole system. It is installed in the office of the central unit as well as in every forestry inspectorate. The forester has the possibility to view the data concerning his forestry inspectorate, can edit the data, make additions to the data and supply data from the handheld register. Users working in the main building (e.g. the building of the park management) most often use the functions of the application that concern agreements, statements, reports, plans etc. The application to a great degree contains the same possibilities as the State Forests IT System, although it is less extensive.
The application covers the following activities:
- taxonomic description
- trade in timber
- timber store
- timber orders
- documents on forest conservation
- stock surveys
2. LasInfo Timber Sales
The application is intended for field staff (foresters, second foresters). It serves to record timber sales and is installed in the handheld register.
- Functional scope of LasInfo Timber Sales
- Register data: records of timber income
- Register data: outflow of timber in the field
o Export receipt
- Print documents (income, assignations, export receipt) with the use of a thermal printer
- Transfer of data from the register to the system
- Access module for selected users
- Dictionary module – allowing the user to add species of wood, clients, contractors
- Timber store – up-to-date information on the state of forestry timber inventories
- Planning module – displays logging plans for forestry
3. GIS application – numerical map browser
A server application installed on the central computer using a common central database with the LasInfo system.
The GIS application has the following possibilities:
- Navigation functions (shift the view of the map, zoom the view of the map etc.)
- Distance measurement on the map
- Area measurement on the map
- Display of information on the attribute and geometry of the object indicated on the map
- Display of information on the taxonomical description, information from the planning system and timber warehouse of the sample plot indicated on the map
- Choice of displayed thematic map
- Choice of display of map layers
- Printout of up-to-date map in required scale according to one of the prepared print templates. The template describes the size, style, contents and location of individual elements. Elements of the printout include: map window, legend restricted to objects visible in the printout, view window of the map with marked area of the printout, text elements with permanent content or content defined during printing, and images. The templates are created and modified by the system administrator.
o Table with data attributes of the active layer with the possibility of filtering data of any attributes with the aid of multi-conditional queries. Results of queries may be linked with the aid of the operators: add to set, remove from set, select from set.
o Vector and raster data from the local map server may be displayed in the browser, as well as data from publicly available map services (Open Street Map, Google Maps, geoportal.gov.pl, GDOŚ).
4. mLas Engineer Lite – map on a handheld forest device
The handheld device Motorola 9596 has a built-in GPS receiver, which allows the user to make full use of the possibilities of mLas Engineer Lite
Possibilities o mLas Engineer Lite:
- Display of thematic maps, including treestands, economic, habitats
- Display of rasters
- Access to information on sample plots (taxonomic description, planning system, wood store)
- GPS measurements (edition of numerical map (update of map), average-weighted measurements, continuous and individual measurements, route tracking (recording of location of GPS receiver)
- Laser rangefinder measurements
- Search of objects on map (search of borders and other objects with known coordinates)
- Search of data on sample plots (filtering of sample plots according to various criteria (procedures, stack numbers, WOD numbers, etc.)
- Automatic map rotation according to direction of GPS
5. Environmental monitoring
The environmental monitoring module allows the user to collect data on the living nature of a given area. The collected data is geometric data (coordinates of the occurrence of species and natural phenomena) and database data describing in detail the issue which is part of the element subject to the environmental monitoring.
- Mobile module designed for fieldwork – recording of events, entering geometric and descriptive data
- Central database of system
- Transfer of data module – transfer of collected monitoring data to the central database
- Map module
- Report module
Advantages of the LasInfo system
The first implementation of the system was in 2005 (in 2009 in a national park). The system operates at the moment in 6 national parks, experimental forest units, and urban forests. Implementation of the system in units in which it is currently functioning has brought significant benefits.
- cost optimization – electronic circulation of documents, transfer of data directly from the field; optimization is clearly visible in units where the system has been introduced
- immediate access to up-to-date data (inventory, orders, realization)
- possession of information about the park in digital form
- easy and quick exchange of data within the forest management unit and also with other institutions
- convenient access to data both for office staff and field-workers
- registration of work from planning, control of execution, to settlement of costs and profits
- registration of all events in the field
- possibility to perform field measurements as well as their inventorisation and navigation on the map
- elimination of mistakes in documentation thanks to control of the correctness of entered data
- quick creation of reports, statements, visualisations, and printouts